This prestigious hotel is set on the lower slopes of the majestic Table Mountain, amongst nine acres of lush gardens. The Mount Nelson has been providing gracious hospitality to overseas visitors for over a hundred years and thus offers a wonderful blend of tradition and modern comfort.
Accommodation Information select a tab
Facilities & Services
Please note: these are inclusive in price unless otherwise stated.
- Pool: An attractive pool set in this ‘urban oasis’, with attendants at the ready to fulfil your needs for towels, drinks and snacks. A second pool, where no under 12’s are allowed, provides the perfect spot for tranquil relaxation.
- Spa: The new Librisa Spa, situated in 3 original late Victorian buildings, offers 3 signature product ranges; Africology, Victorian Garden and French brand Algologie (treatments at a charge).
- Fitness Centre: A state-of-the-art gym is situated on site.
- Tennis Courts: Two all-weather, flood-lit courts with own fridge filled with cooling drinks and flannels!
- Oscar Videos: A wonderful catalogued selection of Oscar winning or nominated films through the decades are available for hire at a small charge.
Bars & Restaurants
- The Planet Bar , a new champagne and cocktail bar with, as its name would suggest, a space theme, comes to life at night, spilling out on to the terrace and gardens.
- The Planet Restaurant offers a local and regional menu and Chef Rudi Liebenberg has created an out-of-this-world menu featuring smoked crocodile, Namibian red crab, rooibos cured ostrich and springbok.
- The Oasis Restaurant serves breakfast but also a gastronomic buffet at lunch and a la carte dinner during Peak Season. It also hosts a Sunday Jazz Brunch.
- The Mount Nelson has won the accolade of ‘Best Tea in the World’ , awarded by Michael Winner, which seems to commence straight after lunch!
The beautiful gardens provide a wonderful environment for children to explore and enjoy whilst the recent addition of the Nelson and Nellie activity centre provides a level of child care generally not found in the Indian Ocean rather than South Africa.
Looking after younger guests
- Facilities of the ‘Nelson & Nellie’ Club (please see below).
- Welcome goodies and robe on request in rooms.
- 9 acres of secure gardens with lawns for play.
- Practical supplies such as sterilisers, toilet steps and car seats available on request.
- All rooms equipped with videos and children’s films can be hired for a small cost.
- Children’s Menu available both in the Oasis Restaurant and via Room Service. In Winter, Supper for children in served in the lounge area (please note children are not allowed in the Cape Colony Restaurant).
- Bespoke Meals (guests can even plan their children’s menu with the chef for their whole stay in advance!)
- The delicious Tea can be served on the lawns if your children are not ready for nibbling cucumber sandwiches and sipping tea on the terrace!
Babysitting & Supervised activities
- The ‘Nelson and Nellie’ children’s activity centre is open to all guests, year fround from age 0 – 12. This colourful hive of activity hosts educational games and toys, big screen TV, Wii and child friendly furniture as well as outside play area. Organised activities are also arranged, from games to storytelling.
- Baby Monitors (please check with the hotel that these will work with your room allocation).
- Babysitting: Professional agency ‘Childminders’ provides childcare, with a 3 hour minimum.
96 Superior and 48 Luxury air-conditioned rooms, some with private balcony or terrace, are situated in a variety of locations including the original hotel, the Oasis Wing near the pool and family restaurant (approx 30 years old) and four new wings are linked to the main hotel via the leafy Palm Avenue. Various suites, many with separate living area, kitchenette and private balconies are also available which may interconnect with Superior Rooms for extended accommodation.
- Superior rooms can accommodate a Wooden Victorian cot and are also available on an interconnecting basis.
- Luxury rooms can also be equipped with an additional bed for one child (no sofa bed options are available). These are also available on an interconnecting basis
Rates from £174 per night per adult sharing in a Superior Room, inclusive of Bed & Breakfast (valid 01/04/12 – 30/09/12). Supplement of £35 for an upgraded Luxury Room.
- Child aged 0 – 2 years free of charge in a cot.
- Children aged 2 years and over will be subject to a charge of approximately £20 to include breakfast (subject to Manager’s discretion)
- Children age 13+ charged £60 (subject to Manager’s discretion).
- Children in their own room charged at adult rate
Please enquire regarding Special Offers that may be available
Note: Please enquire for rates for different Room Types and Seasons and we will compile a detailed quotation for your stay.
The Mount Nelson Hotel recognises the pivotal role we play in our community. We are dedicated to working towards the conservation of South Africa’s natural resources and believe in educating our staff to make a difference in the lives of others.
We aim to share and redistribute our resources, to invest in staff training, and to support local industries, manufacturers and craftspeople.
We contribute to the development and continuous improvement of South Africa through various corporate, social and environmental responsibility programmes.
- Onsite Eco-Initiatives
- Human Resources Initiatives
- Hotels Housing Trust
- Charitable Initiatives
For example, since 1997 over ZAR 1 million has been raised for the Hotels Housing Trust to assist in building of houses of previously disadvantaged communities.