Wildman Wilderness Lodge
Amidst the wilderness of Australia’s breathtaking Top End, in the Mary River Wetlands and close to Kakadu, the Lodge is a nature-based, conservation aware travel experience. Wildman is ideal for those seeking a high quality retreat from which to enjoy a variety of touring options.
Accommodation Information select a tab
Facilities and Services
This luxurious oasis with swimming pool is situated on the beautiful Mary River wetlands, a naturally occurring billabong and habitat for hundreds of species of birds and animals, half way between Darwin and Kakadu.
There are many tours that you can take from the Lodge (cost applicable or inclusive with certain packages):
- Home Billabong Sunset Cruise (to spot crocodiles);
- Dawn Sunrise Cruise (enjoy the Billabong coming to life);
- Full day Mary River Wetlands cruise;
- Mary River Rockhole Cruise, a great opportunity to see crocodiles and buffulo, wetland birds and fantastic views across the vast Mary River floodplain.
- Full day tour into Kakadu National Park (or even over several days)
Bars and Restaurants
There is a spacious lounge bar (air conditioned) to enjoy and the restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, offering the best seasonal produce.
Families are welcome and catered for at the Lodge in terms of meals and accommodation, although no particular facilities geared for younger guests are provided.
Babysitting is not generally provided, but we can enquire in advance should this be necessary.
Wildman Wilderness Lodge comprises of a central lodge, 10 cabins (‘Habitats’) and 15 Safari Tents, the whole forming a quietly luxurious escape amidst an awe-inspiring environment.
The Habitats are well-appointed, beautifully designed free-standing cabins that offer a soothing luxury. In air-conditioned comfort, with luxury bedding, premium furnishings and en suite bathrooms, the Habitats are the perfect respite after a day of adventure in the wilderness.
The Safari Tents, are for those who seek a bit more adventure! Each fan-cooled tent is surprisingly spacious at 50m2 and comes complete with en suite bathroom. Natural colours and materials from the region have been utilised and reflect the surrounding environment, the entire experience providing a grounded closeness to the wilderness with all the romance of the ultimate hideaway.
Five Safari Tents are designed to cater for families with two additional single beds.
Rates can be confirmed on application but from £140 per adult sharing a Safari Tent on a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast Basis with children costing from £40.
The development of Wildman Wilderness Lodge was undertaken with a strong focus on minimising impact to the ecology of the area.
- There has been extensive engagement with the local Department of Fisheries, the team installing the salt water intrusion barriers, surrounding pastoralists, Parks and Wildlife Service, and local Aboriginal groups interested in providing cultural touring opportunities.
- The Lodge will continue to participate more fully in noxious weed eradication, feral animal control, relevant ecological studies and general land and wildlife conservation.
- Where possible, Environmental best practice technology will be utilized in the generation of power, the treatment of water and sewerage and in all operational aspects associated with the treatment of waste, conservation, and in creating a minimal environmental footprint.
- All tours and activities will be highly interpretive and educational, conducted by guides qualified in particular disciplines of Anthropology, Zoology and related Wildlife and Nature Studies. Where possible, guides will be recruited from surrounding Aboriginal groups and trained in the delivery of information to guests.